Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are a lot of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do:

  1. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Stevenson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Dayton to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Get the protection you need and call Stevenson Service Experts in Dayton at 937-503-7896 to learn more.