According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.
Why is CO2 awareness so important?
The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Dayton homeowner. Severe poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Dayton home?
- Buy a CO2 detector for each room of your home. You can contact Stevenson Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance each year to check that no CO2 leaks are present at the start of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its useful life, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new energy efficient furnace.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.