Cooler months in Dayton are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace could discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half don't do anything to keep it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not operating properly or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any troubling issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that may compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its peak efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the team at Stevenson Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 937-503-7896 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the cooler months.