How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a multitude of vapors that could be inside your Dayton home. Natural gas and gases that derive from residential fixtures, flooring and paints. None of these fumes are as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Reach Stevenson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 937-503-7896 today to begin defending your house against this harmful gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Detrimental to Your Health?

Carbon monoxide may be a serious issue, so it’s not a matter to take lightly.

1. You Can’t Taste It

Carbon monoxide is dangerous because you can’t observe it, smell it with your nose or taste it. It’s nonirritating in low doses and can’t be filtered.

2. It Can Be Lethal Within Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a result of used fuel. It can filter into your home during cold weather if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. While it depends on how big the leak is and the airflow in a home, the gas may become lethal in within minutes.

Once breathed in, carbon monoxide has a half-life of around five hours. If you are inhaling fresh air, it requires five hours to remove it from your system. It will take an extra five hours to decrease that amount by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Mirror Other Illnesses

Carbon monoxide may also cause conditions that can be confused with the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other conditions.

How to Defend Your Family from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are some steps you can take to keep your home safe:

  1. Your home with at least one natural gas appliance, connected garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide system. You should have a sensor on every level of your home, including the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of all bedrooms. Don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your residence?
    Call Stevenson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 937-503-7896 to get one. Ask our techs about our economical Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors.
  2. If you already use a carbon monoxide detector, regularly test or replace the batteries. You should test batteries every 90 days, and buy a new alarm every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide system sounds, leave your house right away and dial 911.

Protect Your Family with Help from Stevenson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the dangerous gas. Make the proper changes and call Stevenson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 937-503-7896 to learn more.


Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.