With the cold weather we all tend to spend the majority of our time inside trying to stay warm. While sometimes curling up with a blanket and drinking hot cocoa will do the trick, Stevenson Service Experts is here with a couple tips on how to stay warm (and safe!) this season.
Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Verify you have carbon monoxide (CO) detectors installed on all floors of your home, specifically near bedrooms, and test them to verify they are functioning. Since CO does not have a smell and cannot be detected, it’s vital that you have working CO detectors to make sure your home is safe.
Get Your Chimney Inspection
This is the ideal time of year to get the fireplace up and running, but before you do, be sure you have your chimney cleaned and examined by a professional. The fireplace may be a source of CO if you don’t keep it regularly cleaned and maintained.
Be Careful with Space Heaters
Space heaters are typically safe, energy efficient, and a helpful way to heat small sections of your home, but verify it has been approved by a recognized testing laboratory and contains an automatic shut-off feature. Follow all manufacturer’s instructions and ensure it is placed on a hard, level surface at least 3 feet away from any flammable items.
With a heating tune-up from Stevenson Service Experts in Dayton, we will perform a safety check of your heating system to make sure there are no leaks or carbon monoxide issues. Along with a heating tune-up, confirm your heating vents are not obstructed and that you’re changing your air filter every month. This will avoid the air flow from becoming restricted and help avoid allergens from aggravating respiratory issues.
If You Need Help Staying Warm, Ask
There are proper ways and wrong ways to heat your home – using the oven, a grill, or a camp stove are all wrong ways. Using these devices to heat your home could result in a fire or a dangerous accumulation of carbon monoxide. If you need help paying your energy bills, visit NeedHelpPayingBills.com to find a service in Dayton.
To be sure your home is ready to keep you safe and warm all winter long, call Stevenson Service Experts at 937-503-7896 today.