Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Stevenson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a oven to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Stevenson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to be sure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 937-503-7896 today and ask how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.